Statement of Faith
Our work at The Refuge Retreat Center is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. As we follow His timeless rhythms of rest and solitude, the staff and board of The Refuge Retreat Center hold to the timeless Nicene and Apostles’ Creeds of the Christian Church while also affirming belief in the tenets below:
- We believe that there is one true God (Isaiah 65:16), Who exists eternally in three Persons (Genesis 1:26) – the Father (John 10:30), the Son (Matthew 3:17), and the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 12:13)– indivisible and of one essence.
- We believe that God the Father is the source and maker of all that is, seen and unseen (Genesis 1 & 2). By His great mercy, He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, and reserved in heaven for us (I Peter 1:3-4).
- We believe that Jesus Christ is God, Lord of heaven and earth, the living eternal Word of God. He became incarnate by the power of the Holy Spirit through the miraculous virgin birth (Matthew 1:18, Luke 1:26-38). He is fully God and fully man (Hebrews 4:15). He lived a sinless life, and through His suffering and death on the cross, voluntarily atoned for the sins of mankind. He was buried and on the third day, He rose from the grave in the same body, victorious over the powers of death and darkness. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father (Colossians 3:1), where He is Lord of all and makes intercession for His own. He is the sole mediator between God and mankind. Salvation is through Christ alone (I Timothy 2:5).
- We believe that Jesus Christ will come again to the earth, raise the dead, judge all mankind and establish His glorious Reign (Acts 17:29-31). We believe that those who put their faith in Christ will spend eternity with Him in His glory (Matthew 16:1-20, I Corinthians 15:1-8, Acts 10:35-43) and those who reject Christ will be eternally separated from God and suffer the anguish of that separation (Matthew 10:33-42).
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, Who convicts sinners and draws them to Christ (John 16:8); indwells, illuminates and empowers believers; and seals them until the day of redemption (1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 1:13-14, 4:30). He intercedes on behalf of believers and works sanctification in their lives (John 14:26).
- We believe that the Bible, the Old and New Testaments, is God’s authoritative and supernatural revelation, inspired by the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16-17). The Scriptures are without error in the original manuscripts.
- We believe that mankind was created in the image of God, but all of mankind fell in the fall of the first Adam. He sinned by disobeying God and thereby, all mankind incur not only physical death, but spiritual death, which is separation and alienation from God. As a result, the nature of all mankind is corrupted, and no one is able to please God (Gen 1-3). All are in need of regeneration and rebirth by the Holy Spirit (Romans 3:23).
- We believe that salvation is a gift of God and the work of God’s free grace (Ephesians 2:8-10). It is not in any way the work of human endeavor or goodness or ceremony. God imputes Christ’s righteousness to those who put their faith alone in Christ for their salvation. They are justified solely on the ground of the shed blood of Christ and His atoning sacrifice (Romans 6:1-14).
- We believe that the Church consists of all who have trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ as their savior. Christ is the head of the Church, which is His Body and His Bride (Ephesians 4:4-6, Colossians 1:18).
- We believe that it is God’s will for believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world, to disciple others and to grow into Christlikeness (Matthew 28:;16-20).
The Nicene Creed
We believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
begotten from the Father before all ages,
God from God,
Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made;
of the same essence as the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven;
he became incarnate by the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary,
and was made human.
He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered and was buried.
The third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again with glory
to judge the living and the dead.
His kingdom will never end.
And we believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord, the giver of life.
He proceeds from the Father and the Son,
and with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified.
He spoke through the prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church.
We affirm one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look forward to the resurrection of the dead,
and to life in the world to come. Amen.
The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.